Who may establish paternity?

Any woman who is pregnant or has a child, any man who has reason to believe that he is the father of a child, or any child may bring proceedings in the circuit court, in chancery, to determine the paternity of the child when paternity has not been established by law or otherwise.

Legal Father presumed when born of wedlock

A child who is born to parents who are married to each other is the child of the Mother's husband and no further action needs to be taken.

Mother Unmarried

If the child's mother is not married, then paternity will need to be established for the child.

Parents later Marry

If the child is born of unmarried parents but the parents are later married, then paternity can be established when applying for a marriage license.

Court proceedings

If one party does not agree to the alleged Father being the legal Father then there must be a court proceeding. These proceedings can be complicated and may include genetic testing. 

Contact us for assistance.